[More from my Duers/Dewers family line. If you have additional information on this family or photos, I would love to hear from you. My email is email@example.com]
CLARISSA COMSTOCK (daughter of Mary Duers and Joseph Comstock) was born about 1834 in Junius Township, Seneca County, New York. She died on 17 January 1893 in Waterloo, Seneca County, New York of pneumonia aggravated by Bright’s disease. She married about 1860 to ERASTUS MILLER TEN EYCK, son of John and Sarah Ten Eyck, who was born about 1832 in New York and was a blacksmith by profession.
Clarissa and Erastus had the following children:
i. Clarence Ten Eyck, born about 26 April 1862 in Junius, Seneca Co., New York. Clarence graduated in law from Columbia University in 1889 and was a widely known criminal attorney in central New York. In 1900 he is single and living with his two sisters, who are also single. He later married Mrs. Maude (Hunter) Olmstead who died in Encinitas, San Diego Co., California in January 1957. She had been a kindergarten teacher in Waterloo for many years. Clarence died on 23 July 1924 at his home in Waterloo due to heart disease. His obituary states that he was the son of Theresa Comstock, Clarissa’s sister, but this seems to be an error since all the census records have him as Clarissa’s son. No children are listed in his obituary as surviving him.
ii. Margurete Ten Eyck, born 10 May 1864 in Junius, Seneca Co., New York and died 6 September 1929 at Waterloo Memorial Hospital in Waterloo, Seneca Co., New York following a brief illness with acute nephritis. She never married and worked as a high school teacher in Waterloo, Batavia, Charlotte, and Niagara Falls (all in western New York State).
iii. Mary D. Ten Eyck, born July 1867 in Seneca Co., New York. She was living in Waterloo, Seneca Co., New York in July 1924 and still single.
1. 1850 US census, Junius Twp., Seneca Co., N.Y., p. 190 (written), dwelling 1359.
2. The Evening Herald, Syracuse, Onandaga Co., N.Y., Wednesday, 18 January 1893 (www.fultonhistory.com).
3. 1860 US census, Fayette, Seneca Co., N.Y., p. 246, dwelling 1843.
4. Geneva Daily Times, Geneva, Ontario Co., N.Y., Saturday, 7 September 1929, p. 2, (www.fultonhistory.com).
5. 1870 US census, Waterloo, Seneca Co., N.Y., p. 36, dwelling 299.
6. 1880 US census, Waterloo, Seneca Co., N.Y., e.d. 169, p. 40, family 435.
7. 1900 US census, Waterloo, Seneca Co., N.Y., e.d. 107, sheet 7A, p. 257, dwelling 154.
8. The Auburn Citizen, Auburn, Cayuga Co., N.Y., Thursday, 24 July 1924, (www.fultonhistory.com).
9. Cataloque of Officers and Graduates of Columbia University from the Foundation of King’s College in 1754, XVI edition, published for the University in 1916, p. 615.
10. The Geneva Times, Geneva, Ontario Co., N.Y., Saturday, 12 January 1957, p. 6, (www.fultonhistory.com).
11. The Niagara Falls Gazette, Niagara Falls, Niagara Co., N.Y., Thursday, 24 July 1924, p. 2 (www.fultonhistory.com).